Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Blink

Hello people!What’s up?I just finished reading Blink which I mentioned in the earlier post.To say the least,the book is very intersting and cleverly written.But why should I say the least?!It’s my blog so I can write as long as I want to(I guess you’re wishing me happy realisation at this point!)

Alright then,jokes apart,Blink-the power of thinking without thinking by Malcolm Gladwell is a book about times when you instinctively know something without knowing why.
The book consists of real-life incidents in which people instantly know something or prove something which months of painstaking research couldn’t prove(in the case of the first example,when the art experts instantly spot that the kouros are fake.) This art of making snap judgements is known as thin-slicing.However,the book also mentions the dangers of thin-slicing someone only with their physical appearance which is wrong(the Warren Harding error)

There are lots and lots of examples and I won’t go on listing all of them on and on and on.The book is basically on psychology and lets you have a closer view on how the mind works.It has detailed descriptions based on research work about an autistic person’s way of looking at things and a normal person’s way of looking at things.
Not only this,but you will be surprised after knowing that how much psychological study goes into the selling of Pepsi and Coke and how much of a detailed study of emotions and facial expressions is needed to predict whether a marriage will work or not only after seeing a 15 minutes tape of the couple’s conversation.
Alright then,if I go on mentioning such small snippets of such extensive research then you won’t be able to make any head or tail of it.So,to cut a long story short,Blink is a wonderful book and should be compulsory reading for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment